Přejít na výpis diskuzí

Ado Matheson

OSOBNOST 18.2.2008 
55 příspěvků

Pokud chcete přidávat komentáře, musíte se:

Registrovat nebo Přihlásit
  • Re: Re: Článek z května 1997

On a number of occasions I have played the Union Chapel in London. More recently I supported Marianne Faithful at the Shepherds Bush Empire and was also the support for Davey Spillane at his last concert in London. Earlier this year I was invited to perform at the Midem Festival in France. This was thoroughly enjoyable and projected lots of positive feedback.

The obstacles I have faced during my time as a musician have essentially been caused by record companies who have raised my hopes only to let them fall. I haven't lost faith, however I am planning to go independent and produce an album in the near future. Music is a mirror of my life so, unless it decides to give me up, we're stuck together forever.'
  • Re: Článek z května 1997

I am inspired by music that conveys the truth. I used to be a big rock and roll fan, but the beats and the noise tend to disolve the words and the meaning behind them. I like to be able to hear the lyrics and to work out the story being told.

Although I am essentially a solo artist, about 5 years ago I started playing at several poetry evenings with Chris Brierley, a very talented and versitile classical violin player. After that we used to play at small clubs and concerts. As we got more and more gigs, the band started to expand. Now 'The Iain Matheson Band' is now composed of Chris, Ben Clark, and experienced tabla and drum player, Alf Thomas on the keyboards, and myself on guitar and lead vocals. Performing live is quite a dynamic experience as everybody is inspired by each other and adds their own creation to the final piece. I prefer this to playing solo because the interaction adds a new dimension to my music.
  • Článek z května 1997

Úryvek článku o Adovi Mathesonovi z května 1997 /takže trochu starší/. Ale to vůbec nevadí. V angličtině, takže si ho musíte přeložit.
    *4* *3*
    Iain Matheson

Iain grew up on the Island of Lewis off Scotland. His father was a Gaelic singer and was a strong influence on Iain, whose music reflects the depth, wilderness and beauty of his own culture. He sings mostly in English but some of his songs are in his native Gaelic language.

'I was born to be a musician, but it is only in the past ten years that I became inspired to write my own material. Music and song enable me to communicate a range of emotions. It is a medium with which I can free the pain and suffering that has been locked up inside. My writing is an honest expression of my life experiences and perceptions.

My Celtic background has, in many ways, influenced the subject matter. Gaelic is a very powerful language, especially through song, so I have translated some of my songs into Gaelic as their focus is primarily on the yearning of the Celtic Heart.

They reflect my own culture and my desire to feel a sense of belonging and find happiness. As Sting writes about being an 'Englishman in New York', I write of being an Islander in the city.
  • lynette

Ado je alkoholik?

Co je na tom pravdy, že tento úžasnej skladatel se celoživotně likviduje alkoholem a slaninou *7*
  • jejduli :)))

kukam jak cvok sou tu fotky hanse jak hraje na kytaru :-ooo
    ten starsi pan s fousy je jeho fater *7* *7* *7*
  • Re: Kritika CD Out on the Islands

All the songs on Out on the Islands were written by Matheson. While he plays guitar and piano and handles lead vocals, he does get a little help to flesh out the sound. His son, Hans, provides backing vocals, percussion and violin. Mandy Meaden sings backing vocals on selected tracks. Nick Kacal is on double bass, Simon Lea on drums and last, but not least, Nick Turner on bass, again, for selected pieces.

I do like Out on the Islands as I think many fans of Celtic music would. However, with no offense intended toward Matheson, I admit that I do not find myself reaching for this CD very often. The music is very pretty and occasionally touching. I would definitely go see him perform live if our paths ever crossed. But the CD lacks any musical hooks to keep me coming back. Perhaps my Celtic collection is simply too large and any new Celtic music really has to shine to be singled out. Perhaps the mood is a little too somber for my taste. Do not get me wrong. I think this is a better than average CD in many respects. It simply is not my favorite cup of Celtic tea.

written by Wil Owen
    published 17 January 2004
  • Kritika CD Out on the Islands

Ale opět musíte překládat...
    *5* *4*

Ado Matheson,
    Out on the Islands
    (Eagle Owl, 2003)

Out on the Islands is the first CD by Ado Matheson, a Celtic singer-songwriter hailing from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. For years, he has written and performed his own material. As his touring schedule is rather limited, this is most likely the first chance many prospective fans will have to listen to what he has to offer.

To quote the promo material on Ado's first CD, "the songs are a collection of vivid memories, dreams and reflections inspired by the powerful images and emotions of his homeland." The music tends to be very mellow, almost sad. Matheson has a nice voice and the melodies are very supporting for his range.

Most of the 13 selections are slow-paced. One of the few exceptions is the more upbeat song "The Harbor." Matheson sings about coming full circle. His life started in a harbor town and it is calling him back. You can tell how fond he is about the way he grew up; it almost makes folks nostalgic for their own childhood whether they grew up near the ocean or not.

There is an instrumental track on the CD called "Wings on the Water." The melody is led by the piano and backed up by a quiet electrical guitar. Like most of the tracks, the pace is tranquil. It is a pleasant way to end the CD before the hidden track begins. On the last selection, Matheson reinterprets the title track. I prefer this second version.
  • Re: Re: Re: Recenze z koncertu

I think some of Ado’s lyrics lull too much – they are a contemporary exile’s songs after all. Next album, I’d ban two words, cove - “ancient” and “ocean”. And let the guitar do a bit more of the talking.

But the melody lines and guitar picking were real strengths and I kept feeling that this was so nearly there. A jam session would be good. What about an Lanntair trying to get this man to work with some local young musicians and throwing the doors open again to let us hear the results?

© Ian Stephen, 2008
  • Re: Re: Recenze z koncertu

On the night, guitar, and in one song, piano, were solid but held in check to allow the self-penned songs their scope. Mood was good with a Country-flavoured whine that suits the Stornoway voice very well. Matheson was clearly moved by the support and by the merry banter coming from the community seated before him. He responded with the passion they sought and the deal was done.

Don’t throw me out of town fellow Lewis folk, but there are buts. The tone was that bit too elegiac. Inclusion of a Lonnie Donegon version of ‘It Takes a Worried Man’ was a masterstroke, but for me revealed what would make this return of the local hero a show that could well travel elsewhere. We simply needed a bit more variety in the tone.

And OK, I’m a poet by trade and too fussy about lyrics. My singer-songwriter cousin keeps telling me that songs are different. But I’ve been looking at different lyrics lately, including Proclaimer songs. And I think songs that ring best have a quirky memorable twist in the language – defeating expectations of which word comes next.
  • Re: Recenze z koncertu

He surfaced at an early Theatre Hebrides do, mid-to-late 90s. There was a tarpaulin over scaffolding and you worried about the relationship between electricity and driving rain. It was the cellar of the Lewis Hotel and the cabaret prepared the way for Ado on lead. He recruited the back-up and gave the crowd the rock and roll they had not even known they needed. I remember the guitar playing was better than ever, quiet virtuoso touches but within tight frameworks.

This time we were in a comfortable venue with a good steep rake to the seats and beers and drams in plastic. The banter was going long before the performance began. It was interesting to compare the bald patches. You realise the ageing process could have left you slightly worse off. But there was no mistaking the period influence once the first acoustic chords rang. It is of course Van the Man, and that was made explicit with a nice jazzy ‘Moondance’ and a later request.

Romance was in the air without shame. Two bonny guitars were caught by the spot and the centre’s well-miked baby grand. The solo performer has hung on to his own hair very well. He’s now father of the more famous Hans – the offspring who played Dr Zhivago in the last TV version – and indeed who plays percussion on Matheson’s new CD, Out On The Islands.

I felt the performance was missing an element and soon the soloist did ask the audience to create their own clapping and stomping. Which they did with no further persuasion. Everyone was out for a good time. And we got our money’s worth from a commited performance. Album samples on the web show simple, bold backings.
  • Recenze z koncertu

Lidi, ale musíte překládat.. *5*

ADO MATHESON (An Lanntair, Stornoway, 28 October 2008) Back
    30 October 2008

THE ISLE OF LEWIS claimed ownership of its arts centre the other night. The events programme is normally a well-balanced but reactive selection of touring music, theatre and dance events. There are a few sad omissions. Birds of Paradise theatre company are usually well worth catching, but Lewis audiences have been deprived of that chance for the last two tours.

And I found the travel off the island to see V-amps production of Fleeto (reviewed on Northings by Mark Fisher) well worth the miles. That’s two companies who should be booked next opportunity. But the Ado Matheson gig shows that an Lanntair is open to suggestions in its programming. A near full-house on a dirty October Tuesday proves that local people will turn out for one of their boys.

The performer in question would be past the boy stage if it weren’t for the fact that a resident of Stornoway can carry that description well into the four score and ten. So he’s a fair bit to go. Ado was the local guitar and song legend when I were a lad. He disappeared to London. You heard things from time to time. He played on a tour with Iggy Pop.
  • Narozeniny

Panu Mathesonovi přeji k dnešním 58 narozeninám všechno nejlepší, ať oslaví tento velký den v kruhu rodinném v největší spokojenosti, dostane hodně dárečků a lásky a nadále rozvíjí svůj velký talent a nadání *14* Moc ráda bych si poslechla nějakou jeho další novou desku *3* *4*
  • Ado Matheson

S jeho synem Hansem jsou si docela podobny *3* *3* Myslim si, ze zamlada to musel bejt fesak a porad je nato ze Skotove moc hezky nejsou *5* Ten jeho mladsi syn Will ale neni nic moc co se tyce vzhledu i talentu tak za svym tatkou a Hansem dost zaostava.... *9*
  • Sháním jeho CD Out on the Islands

Poraďte, kde bych mohla sehnat jeho CD Out on the Islands z roku 2003, popř. kde se dá na netu stáhnout. *7* *9* Pište na můj e-mail Killer.mausie@atlas.cz

Pokud chcete přidávat komentáře, musíte se:

Registrovat nebo Přihlásit